Happy thoughts are everywhere. The trick is to focus on them more than on television news, what people say to you, or someone getting mad at you on the road and flipping you off. You know, those every day crush-your-life-thoughts that keep building until you are either very mad at the world, yourself, or someone else.
I don’t know about you, but holding onto the negative thoughts thrown at me from every direction don’t necessarily do a thing for me. So I decided to start focusing on Happy Thoughts about 10 years ago. It is amazing how much happier I am and at peace.
Yes, there are times that I could handle things better, like someone else’s anger, or stupidity. But I’ve mostly kept my world happy. I am aware of what is going on I just don’t let it get to me as easily.
Here are some ways you can think happy:
- Take more time in nature
- Turn off your phone and computer
- Take a moment for yourself; maybe stop for coffee instead of grabbing coffee and spilling it on yourself while driving
- I like gardening, something about getting your hands in dirt that is calming
- Take yourself to a movie
- Create a space in your house or yard that is tranquil and sit there taking deep breaths
- Get lost in a book
- If you can go to a lake or river, creek or some type of water, water is very soothing and peaceful
- Maybe you like to clean your house and then just enjoy it for the weekend
These are just some of the things either I do for myself or my clients have done. The most important thing to remember is that if you are not relaxed and enjoying your happy, you’re not doing the right thing for you.
I have named a few but I would love to get more ideas. What do you do to keep happy? Please share your thoughts in the comments section below.